Starting any business is quite a task, especially for someone new in the department. Starting a business requires permits, licenses, equipment, renting space, and, most important, the capital. Here is a look at things and steps on how you can go about the food business in Nairobi.
Tips to start a successful food business
One starts a business to help it grow and produce more profits. For any profitable business to be successful, it requires determination and hard work. Here are some tips to help your business be successful;
- Look for a location with potential customers. Starting a food business without any potential buyers may lead to painful losses.
- Advertise your business on posters, tell your friends and family and tell them to keep the word going. This will help you as your first customers will be your friends and family.
- Study the strengths and weaknesses of other food business owners and get to know what challenges they face.
- Look for a farmer who can sell foodstuff at a wholesale price to make more profits.
- Ensure your business area is always clean. In the food business, hygiene is very important as milk is delicate.
Steps to starting your business
- The first step is to acquire a business permit from the Nairobi City council. One can visit their offices and do this, or you can do it online. This will help your business run smoothly.
- The next step is to register your company on the KRA official site for tax purposes.
- One also has to get a health certificate from the health inspector and a fire certificate from a fire officer. This ensures your business is safe for both you and employees and the food being safe for consumption.
- Depending on the size of your food business, one needs to employ competent workers who will help your business grow.
- Buy all the necessary food equipment such as refrigerators and food cans.
- Have a business plan that will guide you on how to use the money and manage your expenses.
What can I sell in the food business?
There are many items that one can sell in a food business, especially in Nairobi. The best thing is to choose one food item and concentrate on selling it.
Here is a list of some profitable food items one can sell;
- Hot dog
- Roasted nuts
- Ice cream
These are just but a few of the items you can sell. The list is long, and one can always dwell in the food that they have a passion for.